Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Forums: 

Food For Thought

The New Neo Poet
What is it's purpose?

It is a poetry site for all members. We are here to share our work,seek help when needed, help other members to improve their writing skills. This is done through postings , comments workshops and chats.
My first thought is who governs the daily activities. Answer being the AEC(advocates election committee) which is made up of five elected officials. However with Neo Poets ever growing population are five people enough to make decisions, rules and guidelines for the populace? Perhaps more issues should be brought to the members? After all it is a site for the members, governed by the members.

Neo Poet is an American(United States ) based site. It therefore must abide by constitutional law. This is not to say that laws and beliefs of other countries should be ignored. Not at all they should be shown the same respect.
One of those laws is Freedom Of Speech. We in the states and perhaps it is the same elsewhere. Have the given right to write what we want. Speak what we want and have the opinions we want. Without being chastised for those words , beliefs or opinions. One should not impose their opinions on others as law. An opinion is just that how one person feels about an issue, writing, belief or feelings.

Therefore please give serious thought to this. If you are offended by someone's words, you have the right to express that, but you do not have the right to ask a person to refrain from writing that material.

Somewhere along the line we have forgotten the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We are a community of various religious, ethnic,opinions etc backgrounds.
Being such we all share a common interest here and that is poetry nothing more..

I welcome all comments whether negative or positive. I will not tolerate arguments though or bashing on my blog. It was written to express my feelings and perhaps those of others

on the issue of governing, let us bring Neo back to the people and get more input on issues
on opinions and treatment of member to another . If you have a problem with each other take it up in private or report it if serious to the proper departments not a public chat room
Above all please no back biting, or going around talking about others behind their backs take the issue up with that person.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this blog
China Blue

The previous AEC regime recognised the need to involve the the memership, a little more, and a monthly chat session was devised, where members were free to discuss what they wanted about the site as long it did'nt insult another memeber anyone.

speaking for myself now, i think it might be a good idea to start running those sessions again, as every one will have a chance ecpress their opinion, and may even influence change with in the site.

lou

Stand tall, be proud to be who you are, give the world the finger!!!!

I like Lou's idea of a monthly chat involving the members of neo poet! Perhaps something good will come of this write!

always, Cat

When someone reads your work
And responds, please be courteous
And reply in kind, thanks.

Thank you for your input
I don't mean to open a can of worms just to get folks to thinking.

The idea of a monthly chat is good for the membership as long as they attend. and it brings around some favorable changes.

Chrys
Let your mercy spill on all these burning hearts in hell(Leonard Cohen)

author comment

i back you on following counts:-

- freedom of speech
- having more members on the AEC to take care of the increased work loads and reach out to the members

what you perhaps forgot to mention is "freedom of expression" i believe poetry being a medium of expression freedom of speech is even more pertinent than freedom of speech...

raj (sublime_ocean)

Thank you and yes Freedom of expression was what I had in mind when I said freedom of speech
All this blog is meant to do is perhaps open an adult conversation between memembers and the administration. Who knows perhaps it might make a difference.
Chrys

Chrys

author comment

you are right...we must always keep on trying...and speak out...

raj (sublime_ocean)

Have the present members of the AEC really been that hard to contact or talk to? I and others have always welcomed input. As to changing the number of people on AEC, this has been discussed before. The problem from what I've been told is finding members willing to take on the work and not quit in mid term. Plus there's the burn out factor. Most AEC members are also involved in other positions also. If folks here think expansion of AEC is needed and possible just contact any AEC member and/or state your opinion here or in another blog. It won't take very many people asking for expansion to have it put on ballot in next AEC election. If my memory serves me it will take both a membership vote and trustee approval to change the number of folks on AEC. This is not something the AEC can do unilaterally. .....Freedom of expression.....Now this is me expressing my personal opinion, not Stan the AEC member. With freedom comes responsibility. I support full freedom of speech and always have. But one person's freedom of actions or speach end when those words or actions start affecting the freedom of another person or group of people. Scream fire all you want in your own home but not in a public theater or building. But this hardly needs saying as people abusing their freedoms here is fairly rare. Good blog here

perhaps this blog will generate enough interest if not then all I can see is the members lack of caring about the workings , they just want to write post etc but this will at least get their input iof they are interested enough. But if there is lack of interest well then they should not complain.

I see your point about expression of course by freedom of expression I meant freedom of discretion as well acting or reacting in an adult manner.

My thought was that with the population ever growing and it will become more prevalent once Neo goes public that there might be a need for the AEC to expand. Yes I know a lot goes into doing that, I wasn't saying that there wasn't.

I guess Stan bottom line here I am trying to generate more interest in the membership to care about the site. Maybe I am on the wrong track here. I had to at least try didn't I lol.

No it is not hard to access the AEC they were very prompt in answering my query and finding a solution But consider this if you will Neo grows to proportions and with it come more problems to be solved among the membership is it then enough to have only five people representing the governing body. Whether this changes or not is up to the administration but the general public should take more of an interest..

Thank you I was being very calm and civil when I wrote this blog as I did not want to be taken as a rant

It represents more of a discussion to take place at least that is what my intentions are Hence my saying there will be no arguing between members and no back biting.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone just want to see how many people take an interest.

Thanks very much for your input

how about the suggestion to bring back the meet the AEC even for an hour a month.
Chrys

Chrys

author comment

I never took this as a rant. As to the monthly AEC chat with members. I had completely forgotten about this!......appropriate pause for gasps of astonishment that I would ever forget anything lol.......... I'll check and see what happened to this. It must have been something that happened while I was out with comp problems. As far as I'm aware it was approved but not carried forth (I seem to vaguely recall one AEC - member chat right before comp crashed)........stan

HS and I hosted the AEC chat, and what I did notice was the usual suspects turned up and there was complete apathy from the rest of the site .

Now this is only my opinion but if people want a well run site that considers them , they need to consider the site and other members , and get up off their bums and get involved., as chyrs always has.

What I hope is once new people join they will attend the sessions, and presence of new blood on the site might reinvigorate the existing membership, and they will get involved and attend the sessions to.

Lou

Stand tall, be proud to be who you are, give the world the finger!!!!

Go into the time out corner Stan for for getting lol
Lou as you said perhaps once we launch there will be more interest generated.. If members are not interested then Neo cannot grow and develope and I do see the same people wearing several hats on Neo and one person may be taking on four different positions. Burn out will become that much easier. On the other side of the coin I have seen people complain that it is the same people . solution to that isd a simple one get involved , help out and give something back to the site. Perhaps the financial situation of a person will not permit a paid membership or contribution but guess what Neo owners and trustees have you here just the same and see no difference between a paying member and non paying that is the beauty of this site. So find a way to help out volunteer a bit of your time.

GET INVOLVED until you do there is no way to realize how much is involved behind the scenes of a working site. I burned out over the years I have been a member but who knows this is one way I am still trying to help.

Look at the people that have responded to this blog. How many who are they You got it the same [people , the people that care.

There is a little tab up top that says volunteer/mentor. Please use it.

Another way would be to vote in the AEC elections let your voice be heard. Yet again bring your ideas, suggestions etc to the appropriate departments. They do listen and they do work.

Chrys

author comment

Great collection of information over this topic. Thanks to all for your response.

(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.