Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

Preferred Forms

Forums: 

Having little more to do lately I've been sitting around thinking. (I know this ability likely come as a shock lol). Well, one thing I've been thinking about is how everybody has a favorite form of poetry they prefer writing in. My favorite is structured rhyme, although I sometimes venture into almost all forms.
Now why is it that this is my preferred form? Perhaps it's that I'm not only kinda old but also a bit old fashioned. Or it might be I enjoy the challenge of attempting rhymes which seem to fall naturally. But that's enough about me.

What is YOUR favorite form and why do you think it became your favorite? This introspection might help you become better at your chosen form and it will be interesting to see everybody's reply here.......

Stan there is nothing wrong in having a signature form ...especially when it allows a writer to express within his comfort zone....there would be certain forms which kill the muse like for me is strict meter like a sonnet....it's good that you have raised this topic....i would follow the stream from a student's perspective to learn what others say..
.............................................................................................

raj (sublime_ocean)

You've not really said what might have led you to your chosen form.

author comment

Stan I really don't have an answer to that ...

raj (sublime_ocean)

It IS a difficult question but I think it's one worthy of thought

author comment

so why not have my own form '
I asked before leaving the womb
and a voice spoke to me
wear nothing
so ever since i only compose FREESTYLE '
bless all the coming while
long years were ahead
decades since
nothing archaic about me
as I near the RIDEILO
where finally all go
may be I will be nude
FREESTYLE as i came will I leave

finger prints of my laps tapping still
so stan read me freely
only if U Rrrrrr happy

freestyle? Thank god I'm not a free style writer then lmao

author comment

lollollold

Yeah those Japanese forms require condensation of thought and words. They are a different type challenge from western classic

author comment
(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.