Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

Lang Leav

Forums: 

What are your thoughts on Lang Leav's poems? I have read a few of them and I have to admit they are beautiful and can really touch the heart. I have nothing against her, so don't get me wrong please, but some of my college classmates (literature majors) scorn upon her work and they don't consider it a poetry at all.

I am impressed by the beauty of her poems, but for some reason, they don't really give me the feeling I feel when I read poems. I don't know if I make sense or not, but hopefully you get what I am saying. It is like I am simply reading a series of paragraphs and not poems.

I started this thread to know what other Neopoet members think of her work and whether you feel the same way I do or not. Again, I have nothing against her. I am simply curious. Thank you.

Would help if you put up a link to her poems so that readers can read and respond to your honest query.

raj (sublime_ocean)

My apologies for such a detail I overlooked. Thank you very much that. The link below is from her official Facebook page where she posts some of her works.

https://www.facebook.com/mslangleav/photos/a.803391936379881.1073741832....

"Time is a sly one,
See?
In a blink of an eye,
It is gone."

author comment

No need to apologize...it was perhaps an oversight...

Via the link provided by you I read "Wonder" by Lang Leav. It has many words which create good imagery of what she was going through but for me it is prose with poetic words...

Would be interesting to convert those words into poetry..you may give it a go...

raj (sublime_ocean)

It is more of a prose than a poem and maybe that is the thing that makes feel that is missing to call it a poem. Her works are really beautiful, but the structure and the style is that of a prose.
Haha anyone who wants to convert it may need to ask for her permission. We don't want to have any copyright issues for the sake of poetry.

"Time is a sly one,
See?
In a blink of an eye,
It is gone."

author comment

You are absolutely right about the need to seek her permission. You can make a request in a manner which should not offend her...

raj (sublime_ocean)

I did a quick DDG and what I saw didn't impress me much.
I know nothing about her otherwise.
This is interesting-
http://ricemedia.co/current-affairs-commentary-the-real-reason-lang-leav...

I suspect that part of the sour taste is her talent for self-promotion, which is greater than her prosodic skills.

Self-promotion is important and a skill I entirely lack.

cheers,
Jess
A new workshop on the most important element of poetry-
'Rhythm and Meter in Poetry'
https://www.neopoet.com/workshop/rhythm-and-meter-poetry

I was surprised that millions have loved her poems and the younger generations seem to be the ones who love them most.

I know very well that in this world there are many talented and gifted poets that are left unheard of and unknown. They deserve the spotlight, the recognition and the love. Perhaps they want to remain unknown. Perhaps they struggle to be heard and let the world knows of their poetry. They deserve so much more. Society seems to love the superficial and dread the unknown - the enigma and the beauty behind the fog of doubt and uncertainty. Reading her works, I find them beautiful...but it is not the beauty that is poetry. It is the beauty of the superficial - the fleeting.

After reading her works, the defiant side of my youth has stirred after many years of submitting to the monotony of the adult life and society. She screamed, "That is not poetry!"

Pardon me for such random answers. I really can't bgrab hold of my thoughts and put them into words. I hope I made sense somehow.

"Time is a sly one,
See?
In a blink of an eye,
It is gone."

author comment
(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.