Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

RAP/PERFORMANCE POETRY/SLAM/SPOKEN WORD

Forums: 

write it/perform it/read it/listen to it? put your hands in the air kiddos.

on a side note: dear neopoet, please add another forum to do with poetry, so I don't have to talk about poetry in the community leaders section. seriously.

You could've posted in the anything goes forum topic.

It is such a secret place, the land of tears. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

the anything goes forum is like a heading, there have to be actual headings within that heading and you have to post in one of those. try it. no other section but this one is working. hahahaha. glitchhh.

author comment

RAP/PERFORMANCE POETRY/SLAM/SPOKEN WORD all would be covered, and were in the old Neopoet. I'm not sure when sound recording and playback will become a feature again, I'm sure the Trustees are working on it. It was great and it will be great again hearing works in the poets own voice.

You know I especially love hearing poetry spoken in languagues I don't understand at all. It bespeaks the music of language itself, which many of us forget while writing.

cheers,
Jess
A new workshop on the most important element of poetry-
'Rhythm and Meter in Poetry'
https://www.neopoet.com/workshop/rhythm-and-meter-poetry

And here I got excited for nothing. I thought you posted a link of yours that was subject appropriated.

I'm soooooooooooooo disappointed.

~A

I'm not going to take away from their skills at putting words to a beat, but I have noticed that most rappers either make words up or sometimes make up sounds to keep the rhyme, and beat.Not to mention a lot of rap isn't original, they tend to borrow much, music wise and even sometimes lyrically.My idea of poetry put to music is different I suppose, for example.This is Planet Caravan, by Black Sabbath which I find beautiful and poetic in both lyrics, and music.Or maybe its just me, lol

"Planet Caravan"

We sail through endless skies
stars shine like eyes
the black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
falls down in tears
light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
of sapphire haze
in orbit always

While down below the trees
bathed in cool breeze
silver starlight breaks down the night
And so we pass on by the crimson eye
of great god Mars
as we travel the universe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"For what is it to die, But to stand in the sun and melt into the wind?"

KZ,

an interesting point you made there about whether Rap can be considered poetry. When I first joined Neopoet I was asked by a few 'Poets' to leave the site as my work was lyrics that had no place in the poetry world. I challenged each one to clarify how my written words, formed into verse, were different to a poetic form...they never responded!

I try to make my lyrics read like poetry, although I agree i tend to use a strict meter and syllable count, but nonetheless, my words sound poetic when read...they only become lyrics when they are sung and backed up by music.

As for rap being poetry...I can't see why they can't work as poetry, the written word if created and crafted well can become poetry...poetry is a very loose term. The only problem I have with rap, are the made up words and forced rhyme and usual same subject matter (guns, girls and drugs). I agree rappers do tend to 'steal' others samples, but not all of them.

I wrote a rap a few days ago as part of a challenge I had with 'lou'...but I found myself stering towards the guns. girls and drugs side!!

Pugilist wrote a blog a while back, something along the lines of "poets that can, do and those that can't teach". When I met up with a few musicians during a tour, one of the bands had asked a rapper to join them on stage and perform a couple of older tracks and add in a rap section. This resulted in boo's from the crowd. (goths don't like rappers!). After the show we were backstage and one of the band members yelled at the rapper:

"musicians who can, do, those who can't...rap!"

I nearly wet myself laughing. The band no longer take a rapper on tour!!

regards,

HS
Dan 'In Da' Hood

--------------
Workshops are now open:
http://new.neopoet.com/workshop/find
--------------
With all that I am and all that I could be, I walk this earth, yet nobody sees me.

You got what I was saying exactly, I can see where some rap could be considered poetry, just not most of it.Like some of the story teller raps that occasionally come out could be considered poetry perhaps.And you are 100% correct, goths HATE rap with a passion, lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KZ,

don't tell anybody but I am considered a goth and I own an Eminem album...keep it quiet will ya!

LOL!

HS

--------------
Workshops are now open:
--------------
With all that I am and all that I could be, I walk this earth, yet nobody sees me.

My son loves music. He loves the words to music. And he doesn't read poetry. (This is the kid that read research/trade books/articles on subjects in which he was interested at age 7.) Some time ago, he said that if my poems are put to music, then he'll read/listen. Well so much for being a prophet in one's own land. lol.

He's gotten a little better, not much but nevertheless, better.

I can't believe some folks here would say that lyrics aren't poetry. How ignorant!

We can argue about which lyrics or music is better though, eh?

miles of smiles,
~A

In Anna's world, the best rapper is Eninem, much of his music is on youtube w/lyrics.

Here's *Beautiful*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMCD0BN6xq0

Another thing about poetry, music, when one has a wide variety of tastes, one's poetry/music/lyrics tends to touch all seasons of the heart in its universal appeal.

Talent is talent. To exclude any style is to be ignorant. Sometimes an aria,of beauty and human hurt reaching heaven, sometimes an angry *spoken word* slammed into our ears, sometimes a symphony of words and sounds like Pink Floyd or Bach.. Sometimes head-banging rhythms or trance music are what floats my boat.

Poetry is an experience of the soul in touch with its own senses and magnified to its zenith
...or it should be in whatever genre it appears....

Even though I find Eminem to be mostly shock value, I know quite a few that disagree with me about this.I also think sampling is artistic theft.

"sampling is artistic theft". I don't know what you mean by this, KZ...would you please explain?

~A

When they take beats, riffs, and vocals from other peoples music and add it their own.To me it is very unoriginal and different from a band doing a cover.They do it sometimes with the OK from the other artist, but sometimes without as well.It would be like if I had written a poem and took a line or two from yours then added it to mine.This happens quite a bit in rap music and I feel that its artistic theft.But thats just my opinion.

I quite often hear riffs, etc. from some of the greats in new music. I see lines of poetry, "borrowed", though I try to make mention of that when I compose a poem as a "quotation" before or after the poem.

After a while it is so ingrained in our conscious awareness, that we think it is *ours*, though when we are in touch with our *originality*, we tend to *borrow* less and *attribute* more.

~A

As I have stated before, I think some of the best poetry written in the last 50 years or so are in the form of music lyrics. I actually studied some of Kristoferson (never can spell his name right lol) in freshman English in college. I realize many consider rap to be a type spoken word poetry, But I can't bring myself to call most of the filth spewed by so many rappers to be poetry. Just thought I'd throw in my two bits..................scribbler

Stan,

and there was me thinking of you as a mature Vanilla Ice, strutting your stuff and rapping! LOL!

I agree with you about some of the best poetry (in my opinion) being in the form of lyrics. There is a lot of skill in writing lyrics when you are creating it around a song/tempo.

Vanilla Ice CD in the post for ya dude!

LOL!

HS

--------------
Workshops are now open:
--------------

It would be GREAT to be able to feature some spoken word poetry on NEO. I am not sure if that is exactly where this forum was headed or not.

I have only begun to delve into this realm of poetic verse/prose/lyrics and it expands the early ideas of the Beat Poets such as Ginsberg for making statements on our society today. With so many mediums to move within, Spoken Word is not only live, but is recorded in both sound and video formats and is all over the web.

It is fast becoming a new wave of sound and political statement by our writers today and deserves a place in the sun.

Thoughts?

Some prime examples:

http://www.andreagibson.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wvl-F4SDzU&feature=related
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoken_word

. .

.. .

~"It's ALL about the Poetry~

Please join us in The Shark Pool

We had spoken word poetry on the old Neo, I'm sure it will be back, it was very popular.

Respectfully, Race

"Laws and Rules don't kill freedom: narrow-minded intolerance does" - Race-9togo

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Race_9togo

Must have been one that I missed before.
Would really be great to see it again then.

Thanks Jim.

~Pamela

.. .

~"It's ALL about the Poetry~

Please join us in The Shark Pool

we could always post our spoken word stuff on Youtube and post a link at the end of the text posted here...

hmm, might just do that.

cheers,
Jess
A new workshop on the most important element of poetry-
'Rhythm and Meter in Poetry'
https://www.neopoet.com/workshop/rhythm-and-meter-poetry

I was a big fan of Spoken Word on Neopoet and used it a few times to post some of my own work just before the site crashed.

It's great to be able to HEAR the works of others spoken / sung in their own voices.

I look forward to its return on the site with eagerness.

Psyve

(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.