Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

How do we get new members?

Forums: 

We are using the social networks, have got some new members. Neopoet is shrinking. The same old members post. If everyone mentioned www.neopoet.com on their social networks, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, etc it would help people find the joy of poetry. Encourage rap. There is fine work there and encouraging a whole new generation in interest in poetry. Neopoet is unique in helping new or aspiring poets develop their work.

We really help people find the joy of poetry.

mentioned Neo to others on another site who seem to desire honest feed back.......so far no responses

There is really good poetry. Interesting respectful (sometimes, discussions). Intellligent and thoughtful people. I would love to develop a strategy to expand the site.
Any suggestions? You and me and Rett have had some ballhoos but develeoped respect.and even friendship.

I would love to develop a strategy or methodology to get on well. To enjoy poetry. To have arguements without malice. Let's work on it,eh?
cheers
Jess

cheers,
Jess
A new workshop on the most important element of poetry-
'Rhythm and Meter in Poetry'
https://www.neopoet.com/workshop/rhythm-and-meter-poetry

author comment

the strategy for getting on well has already been worked out. How else explain the fact that we no longer call one another names ? lol. Now as to growing the site..........some people seek out conflict and controversy. So one question is do we want such people? i think the answer is yes, as long as they can keep themselves under control. I still regret the loss of the few we had to kick off site because they were not afraid to be honest. But they went beyond honest and started attacking and we owe it to members to not allow that don't we? Jonathan came up with something on the old site called fight club if my memory serves. It was a place anybody could go to in which the only restriction was not allowing threats of physical harm. If anybody went there they were warned before hand that their skin needed to be thick.
Perhaps it's part of the creative process but it seems almost everybody like to see a "fight" as long as nobody is hurt in the process. In the fight club folks were free to blow off steam with little fear of official repercussions.And people who liked watching a good dust up could look on without becoming involved
unless they wished to. So one could blow off steam there then have respectful disputes on line and thus the idea of disagreement might become more acceptable.
A lot of people also think poetry should not fear poking beliefs (political or otherwise) in the eye which would breed controversy. I am sad to say the last poem I saw on stream was a political statement concerning Hillary Clinton by some old southern guy. And it got little response. Could that be because people have become afraid to debate here? I certainly hope not. a stirred pot cooks best.
Now how to recruit new members is a tough one.I don't personally know any other poets around my town. They Must be here but there is no venue in which to find them. Yet there are 5 sizable colleges within 30 miles of here.

So recruiting might be limited to on line and it appears I suck at that. The only one I recall bringing here was Wes and he already wanted to join.I'm on Facebook but only visit there about once a month. I'm almost ready to record something on sound cloud. Do you think doing so would increase exposure? If so, then I could always mention Neo at end of each recording. Then there's the neo book. Should it ever come to be a few books donated to about 20 scattered libraries might help. Or even a neo E-book available for free on line?

Belonging to several other sites other than Neo, I have come to understand that the few who know about this site are a bit skittish, if not actually adamantly against joining. I can only assume that this is because of what they have heard from others about how certain people have been treated here and practically forced to leave. I am not going to be foolish enough to openly state how this may have occurred, or who was responsible, but to my way of thinking, its a hell of a way to run a railroad!
Feel free to disagree with and chastise me if you so choose as I rather expect that for expressing my opinion on nearly anything here!

The same reason I have been probably most often suspended but never banned from Neopoet.
Since you posted this, 2 years ago I know you have seen a mellowing of my approach, without changing my honesty.
This site has been the best and only active poetry workshop on the web for 9 years, 10 months and 20 days as at time of posting.

All we have to do at the moment is actively follow the primes directive "Critique, don't comment".
Especially longer members, show by example.
That is Neopoet.

cheers,
Jess

author comment

We have to start being aggressive in our recruiting other poets.
If we have more poets and utilise the ones we have things would improve.
Send to other sites the results of our workshops in that the poems we sort out here can be put on other sites by us as we belong to many sites saying that our poetry was improved by NEOPOET.COM or make it a monthly task of the ones that write the best poetry where it can be put on other sites.
A quiet invasion of to attract members.
We are stagnating because we are not known, the book that we could produce each month or whatever time span would bring the poets in.
We have the energy and have had the opportunity to be published many times.
If I can be in 48 Books with little cost I am sure we are strong enough to do better,
Yours Ian.T

Give critique to help keep Neopoet great.
Unconditional love to you all.
"Learn to love yourself first"
Yours as always, Ian.T, Sparrow, and Yenti

*Always try to remember to mention Neopoet on other sites.
*The Fight Club is viable, perhaps as an ongoing workshop, where anything at all goes short of threats of physical violence.
*Good old fashioned A4 ads posted on noticeboards at schools, colleges, universities and cafes would certainly produce results.
*Soundcloud has already produced results. I will work on a blog or forum for how to use it, there are some tricks to making sure it hits other social networks sites.
*The book is a technique proven by certain execrable sites but done with integrity by us, of course.
*Poem of the week/month, whatever provides encouragement and we have learned our lessons on avoiding it being abused.
*From some people's personal experience and then by word of mouth my very name has become a deterrent to some. I don't regret my early harsh critique which helped establish Neopoet as an edgy, honest site however I have too often passed into transgression. My resignation or possibly change of name might help, though could also hinder. Feel free to discuss this. I feel deeply for Neopoet and will do whatever is best for the site.
*Join other sites and mention how Neopoet helped you develop your poetry.
*More suggestions, please.

cheers,
Jess

author comment

A good idea about posting on local notice boards,
I will have a look at that.
Each of us have a face book account and it is so easy to just put a note on there about once a month to say where you learn how to write poetry and this could be accompanied by a poem for them to read, would like to see a before and after poem posted there this would show how things work, will look into that also.
I am short of time at this moment as we have an illness here to steal our hours.
But all of you know that I shall promote Neopoet as much as possible.
I have behind me here at home a Cheshire home that looks after about 20 people and I am sure I can start a small group there to join in if possible, will look into that.
There are local magazines here in the village and surrounding places so I will look into using them ..
Take care all and know that I shall do my best..
Yours, Sparrow.

Onya, young Jedi!

cheers,
Jess

author comment

wait for it............................:)

...and still waiting..

I was offline through systems crash and illness. Really sorry.
There was no need for your threats and drama.

cheers,
Jess

author comment

Neopoet.com on Facebook is the official Neopoet site there, and I am an Admin there, you... [barely restrains himself from some well deserved return abuse.]
What have you ever done for Neopoet apart from magnaminously bestowing your genius, about yourself, even in your comments, about yourself.
[ok, restraint breaks]
Fucking wanker.

cheers,
Jess

author comment

Happy to see U back!

Mr Wolf!

3 weeks offline. Longest time in 20 years. I think it did me some good.
Now maybe I'll write some poetry (shock horror)

cheers,
Jess

author comment

Am parcelling up some abuse words and mighty filthy statements for members to use, they will be put under the heading of pointless banter
As they are of the worse kind of English and no form or fixed place can be found in the comments or critique on the Neopoets site.
Those wishing to use such things can PM me and I will find some choice words from my slang books.
Each set will cost the user $10-00 Au or USA, please take care when using as they may give offence to others on site.
The money will be forwarded to the makers of Neopoet site for its continued upkeep.
Have a lovely day out there I suppose we can be very lucky that the time zones are different in the world it stops direct conflict Maybe !!!
Love you both, as each one of you, should love both the other two, Yours as always Ian..

(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.