Join the Neopoet online poetry workshop and community to improve as a writer, meet fellow poets, and showcase your work. Sign up, submit your poetry, and get started.

Number of 'Hits"

Years ago when I posted poems on Myspace each poem would register the number of hits the poem had had . The same as YouTube but confined mostly to 'friends', as with Neopoet, readers would often read poems without commenting, this can be for a variety of reasons, but the important point from the poet's point of view is that the fact that a reader has clicked on his poem to 'read more' is not recorded.
It may seem vanity to want to know this but it is helpful.
1. You can judge the popularity of poem not by comments, which often develop a momentum of their own (one comment commenting on another comment) but from actual reads.
2. You can gauge differences between comments and how many read a poem, comments not necessarily being a good guide to a poem's popularity.
3. Number of hits can also show you if someone has read one of your poems and then reads older ones, again without commenting.
4. If hits are displayed within time frames, the poet can then see what poems have lasting appeal.
5. I noticed on another forum 'Poetry Showcase' they have this function and I found it valuable.
6. Number of hits would also show Neopoet how many members are reading poems, as opposed to number of members commentating.
7 Lastly, on 'Poetry Showcase' poems are available for non members to read without the comment function and are listed according to the number of hits they have. ( most popular 60,000 ) This give 'net surfers' a chance to focus on poems already popular and gives them a way in to the poetry. I think you can also search for poems by title/author. I think this would encourage poets to join Neopoet.
I have no idea how easy this function would be to encorporate into Neopoet from a web design aspect.
but here's hoping
Ross

checked it out,
I was a member of the old Neopoet but don't remember it being there.

author comment

How old did you say you were ??LOL
They say that short term memory goes first.
Then I suppose, if you can't remember who you are on any day, then the long term memory just causes confusion and doesn't really matter a cuss.
Yours Sparrow...
NB:- I sent Ian.T to Coventry and they have put him in a dark room La La..

There are a million reasons to believe in yourself,
So find more reasons to believe in others..

i also recall the hit function on old neopoet. I have been a proponent for having it reinstated but mainly so people would know their poems are being viewed without being commented upon. But it will still leave the writer in the dark as to whether lack of comment is due to readers not thinking a poem worthy of comment or if it's a time constraint thing. I also have no idea how difficult instating the hit function would be technically................stan

The "hit" function had its good points and there have
been more than a few to ask about it. That's the reason
I posted it in the "idea gallery". I'm not sure that interest
will ensure any change (seems to be a technical issue)
but I do know that interest will ensure at least a second
look, which was the whole idea about putting an idea
gallery on the site.

Richard

i saw 3023 hits on all my poetries

I washed my eyes
were the numerals i quote HERE correct
the AMBULANCE HAD TO BE SUMMONED
THEY DEclared me ANXIETY FIT.

.i CAME HOME AND HAD A DRINK

CANCER of my ego
got a fresh coating..
Neopoets doesn't want heart attacks

is perhaps a wild guess...

loved

This is one thing that has been brought up time and time again.
I say that it should be reinstated, then we can see how many lazy poets there are that just read and can't be bothered to comment.
Then we would see about how to critique properly and why it is necessary.
There are many poets that just have 2 or 4 comments on a piece of writing, and that's with them answering just one or two as they are counted as comments.
This should be addressed at the highest level of Neopoet, we have enough workshops on how to Comment, Yours Ian.T

There are a million reasons to believe in yourself,
So find more reasons to believe in others..

Is it difficult to reorganize a site? I'm guessing it is and since no one's being paid much if anything to do it I suppose its not reasonable to expect upgrades.

author comment

I think a lot of times a poem is read and no comment left because a previous reader already covered the topic a later reader would have mentioned on. I expect there are a near infinite reason a poem might be read and not commented on. A reader may start reading a poem and consider it not worth finishing. So a non-recorder "hit" is not always a good thing lol............stan

I sometimes don't have the energy to crit a poem even if I like it, a poem might get a lot of hits just cause of its title being intriguing, it is gratifying to see your poem has been read by a lot of people.

author comment

I suppose it is natural to be self-effacing about the quality of our work. A record of "hits" would give a rough indication of the standard of our efforts, especially after a few submissions, as the number of "hit"s would reflect the popularity of the work.

Ian

TIME FLIES LIKE AN ARROW, BUT FRUIT FLIES LIKE A BANANA

(c) Neopoet.com. No copyright is claimed by Neopoet to original member content.